Join ACPA members at task force meetings to further the association's strategic objectives. Opportunities for fellowship, networking, and fun will follow at our Concrete “Beach Bash” Theme Reception on Marriott's North Beach. Plus, we have an exciting program for spouses/guests, optional activities, and a guide to help you take advantage of the very best Fort Lauderdale has to offer.
On Thursday, CPU will feature construction project and technology stories from around the country. Eight breakout sessions will cover: performance engineered mixtures, alternative cement-based pavement solutions, concrete paving & repair material considerations, construction & jointing issues, big project stories, silica dust, and concrete paving in the future.
On Thursday evening, join us to honor the organizations and people involved in award winning paving projects from across the country. Following a reception and photo session, we'll formally recognize award recipients at the 29th Annual Excellence in Concrete Pavement Awards dinner banquet.
7:00 am - 4:00 pm Event Registration
7:00 am - 8:00 am Continental Breakfast – Ocean Salon I
A continental breakfast will be provided in the meeting room for those attending the ACPA Chapter/State Committee meeting.
8:00 am - 5:00 pm Chapter/State Committee Meeting – Ocean Salon I
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Luncheon – Ocean View Terrace
11:45 am - 5:30 pm Golf Outing (Optional Activity)
All guests are welcome to sign up for the 1:00 pm shotgun golf outing at nearby Jacaranda Golf Club. This is great opportunity to meet up with old friends or entertain your clients while enjoying beautiful Florida views, weather and the trees that gave this course its name! A bus will transport you to and from the golf course. The shuttle will depart promptly at noon, so please plan to be in the hotel lobby at 11:45am for boarding. Lunch is included with this activity. (Add-on activity when registering)
12:45 pm - 5:00 pm Airboat Tour and Alligator Show (Optional Activity)
Climb aboard an airboat for an invigorating tour through the Everglades! You’ll encounter wildlife and take in a live gator show featuring Gator Boys Alligator Rescue Team from Animal Planet’s Hit TV series. A bus will transport you to and from the park. The shuttle will depart promptly at 1:00pm, so please plan to be in the lobby at 12:45pm for boarding. Guests should plan to attend the ACPA luncheon on the Ocean Terrace at noon, as boxed lunches are not included with this activity. (Add-on activity when registering).
7:00 am – 5:00 pm Event Registration
7:00 am – 8:00 am Buffet Breakfast – Ocean View Terrace
7:00 am – 10:00 am Emerging Leaders Breakfast & Meeting (by invitation) – Clearwater/Orlando
A special session for emerging leaders to continue working on their priorities for growing the depth and breadth of our industry. Meeting is by invitation, but if you are interested in attending please ask at registration.
8:00 am – 9:45 am
RCC Task Force – Key West/Palm Beach
8:00 am – 9:45 am Airport Task Force – Ocean Salon III
8:00 am – 9:45 am Asset Management Task Force – Ocean Salon I
9:45 am – 10:15 am BREAK
10:15 am – 12:00 pm
Design Task Force – Ocean Salon III
10:15 am – 12:00 pm Jointing Task Force – Ocean Salon I
11:30 am – 2:30 pm Special “Shooters Waterfront” Luncheon (For Spouses/Guests)
Join other registered spouses and guests for a special luncheon at the Shooters Waterfront, which proudly embodies the memories and historic spirit of good times, great food and incredible views of the Intracoastal Waterway. Shooters is a destination restaurant with a modern look and new menu serving as Ft. Lauderdale’s best take on waterfront dining. (Included with Spouse/Guest registration.)
12:00 pm – 1:20 pm Luncheon (with Annual Meeting of the Members) – Ocean Salon II & IV
Enjoy lunch followed by a short update on progress the Association has made in 2018.
1:20 pm – 1:30 pm BREAK1:30 pm – 2:45 pm Legislative Issues Committee (*Must Join AIM to Attend) – Ocean Salon I & III
The Committee will address matters related to the association’s efforts in Washington DC. 2:45 pm – 3:00 pm BREAK 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm Strategic Advisory Committee (Business Session) – Ocean Salon I & III
The committee hosts an annual forum allowing contractors and other members to gain insight and perspective on important issues facing the industry – all attendees are welcome. Presiding: Greg McCormick, Northern Improvement; Chairman, Strategic Advisory Comm.
- Summary of Task Force Progress
- 2018 Intern Program Review
- Reports of “New and Neat” resources available to the members
New Promotion Strategies and Plan for the Industry Leaders of the Association and our partners will discuss an exciting new plan for promotion of concrete pavements and related cement-based paving solutions. All members are encouraged to attend this plenary session and celebration of a new endeavor for the Association! 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm Concrete “Beach Bash” Theme Reception
(All Registrants, Guest & Spouses Welcome) – On North Beach Miss a call or miss a meeting, but don’t miss our Beach Bash reception! Put on your shorts and let the sand get between your toes while you enjoy the beach party atmosphere on the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort’s private shoreline. Enjoy steel drum music, coconut bowling and other fun beach activities while catching up with friends and colleagues from ACPA.
After the awards breakfast, select from among eight interesting concurrent CPU technical sessions…
7:00 am – 3:00 pm Event Registration
7:00 am – 8:15 am Awards Breakfast (Spouse/Guests Welcome) – Ocean View Terrace
CPU 1 – What Contractors Need to Know About Performance Engineered Mixtures – Ocean Salon I
Moderator: Gordon Smith, PE; National Concrete Pavement Technology Center
Presentation and discussion will review:
- The latest data and results from 2018 field trials
- Contractor Perspectives
Moderator: Eric Ferrebee, PE, American Concrete Pavement Association
- Growth of RCC in United States – Corey Zollinger, PE, Director - Paving Solutions; CEMEX
- Cement Stabilization and Full-Depth Reclamation Market – Andrew Moss, Senior Market Intelligence Analyst; PCA
- Performance Review of Precast Pavements in California – Tom Van Dam, PE, PhD, Principal; NCE
10:00 am – 10:30 am BREAK10:30 am – 12:00 pm
CPU Breakout 3 – Concrete Paving & Material Considerations – Ocean Salon I
Moderator: Brent Burwell, PE; Oklahoma-Arkansas Chapter - ACPA
- Shear Cracking Phenomena/Solutions – John Becker, PE, President; Pennsylvania Chapter – ACPA
- New Data on Fiber-Reinforced Concrete Overlays – Dan Biddle, Vice President of Sales; Forta Corporation
- Smoothness Profiling Considerations for Urban/Low-Speed Pavements - Steve Karamihas, Sr. Research Specialist; University of Michigan
Moderator: Greg Mulder, PE; Iowa Concrete Paving Association
- Joint Durability: Mixture Designers, Sawing & Curing - Practices & Specifications that Need to Be Changed - Jason Weiss, PhD, PE, Head of School of Civil & Construction Engineering; Oregon State University
- Concrete Pavement Joint Sawing Study – Jim Crovetti, PhD, Director of Transportation Research Center; Marquette University
- The Latest “MIT Scan” Equipment for Locating Dowels – Garry Aicken, PE, Technical Manager; KSE Testing Equipment
10:30 am – 1:00 pm Board of Directors Meeting (Closed, Lunch Provided) – Key West/Palm Beach
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm BUFFET LUNCHEON – Ocean View Terrace1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
CPU Breakout 5 – Big Project Stories – Ocean Salon I
Moderator: Bill Cuerdon, PE, New York Chapter - ACPA
- Lessons Learned from Las Vegas' Project NEON - Tom Van Dam, PE, PhD, Principal; NCE
- Continuously Reinforce Concrete Pavement Resiliency - A Case Study, Lisa Lukefahr, Executive Director; Texas Concrete Pavement
- The Largest Dowel Alignment Field Testing Study - Tyson Rupnow, PE, PhD, Associate Director, Louisiana Transportation Research Center
Moderator: Jason Reaves, PE, South Dakota Chapter - ACPA
- Shedding New Light on Profiler Measurement of Localized Roughness – Steve Karamihas, Senior Research Specialist; University of Michigan
- Blow-ups: The Enigma of the Concrete Paving Industry – Mitzi McIntyre, PE, Technical Sales Engineer; CTS Cement; Angela Folkestad, PE, Executive Director; Colorado-Wyoming Chapter—ACPA; Kevin McMullen, PE, President; Wisconsin Concrete Pavement Association
2:30 pm – 3:00 pm BREAK3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
CPU Breakout 7 – Silica Dust in the Real World – Ocean Salon I
Moderator: Mark B. Snyder, PhD, PE; Pavement Engineering and Research Consultants, LLC
Presentation and Roundtable Panel Discussion will review:
- Update on Silica Dust Rule Enforcement – David O’Connor, Director Office of Chemical Hazards – Nonmetals; OSHA
- Paving Contractor Perspective on Meeting Silica Rule Requirements – Anthony Pastin, Project Manager; Golden Triangle Construction
- Saw and Seal Contractor’s Perspective on Handling Slurry and Dust – Scott Eilken, President; Quality Saw & Seal, Inc
Moderator: Dan Rozycki, President; The Transtec Group
- What Functionality Will the Highways of the Future Have? An Opening Perspective - Dan Rozycki; The Transtec Group
- State DOT Perspectives on Highways of the Future – Peter Konzinski, PE, Director, RoadX Program; Colorado Department of Transportation; Tim Ruelke, PE, Director, Office of Materials, Florida Department of Transportation
- How Can ACPA Members Build the Highways of the Future? A Facilitated Roundtable Discussions
The 55th Annual Meeting closes with the gala reception and excellence in paving awards banquet…
5:00 pm – 6:30 pm Awards Banquet Registration – Ocean Foyer
5:00 pm - 6:30 pm Awards Photo Session – Ocean Foyer
Opportunity for professional photographs of award winning teams. Instructions with photo times are sent to team leaders prior to the event.
5:45 pm - 6:30 pm Awards Gala Reception – Ocean Terrace
This semi-formal gala event provides an opportunity to congratulate award winners as well as meet old friends and new ones, too. Join us for refreshments as we anticipate CONCRETE Celebrations!
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm “Excellence in Concrete Pavements” Awards Dinner – Ocean Ballroom
The program is our biggest annual celebration of “award-winning” pavement projects from around the country and the companies responsible for them. We also witness the traditional “passing of the gavel” and recognize the winner of the 2018 Hartmann-Hirschman-Egan Award, our most prestigious recognition of an individual for their dedication, commitment, and service to the industry.
Includes admission on Tuesday through Thursday to all meetings, meals, the "Beach Bash" reception, concrete pavement university, and the paving awards reception & banquet.
Member $880 | Non-Member $1,100
Includes admission on Thursday to all meals, concrete pavement university, and the awards reception & banquet.
Member $720 | Non-Member $900
Includes admission on Thursday to breakfast, lunch, and concrete pavement university.
Member $480 | Non-Member $600
Includes admission to the paving awards reception & banquet on Thursday evening.
Member $240 | Non-Member $300
Includes admission for a spouse-guest to the WED "Beach Bash" reception, WED special "Shooters Waterfront" luncheon, THURS awards breakfast, and the THURS paving awards banquet & reception.
Member $440 | Non-Member $550
Includes admission for a spouse-guest to the paving awards banquet & reception.
Member $240 | Non-Member $300